Commander Forage Brassicas & HerbsContact us
Commander is a winter active forage chicory that provides excellent year round growth. It has a low crown giving good grazing tolerance plus a leafy and erect growth habit making grazing easier for livestock. Commander establishes quickly and benefits from good disease resistance.
As Commander combines high winter activity with excellent year round growth, it has a more even growth curve providing good feed year round.
• Performs all year round including winter
• Fast establishment and regrowth after grazing
• High quality winter active forage chicory with a leafy and erect growth habit
• Responds to summer rain
• Low crown gives good production over 2–5 years
• Alternative to lucerne in problem soils
• Sown at 5–6kg/ha with legumes and 1–2kg/ha as part of a pasture mix
• Fast growing, providing quick feed for a chicory
• Produced highly nutritious feed, ideal for finishing livestock or dairy production
• Improves the quality of summer pastures (once grasses have lost quality)
Agronomy and management
Commander has a low crown and excellent root rot resistance making it highly tolerant of winter grazing and giving it very good persistence for a winter active variety. Commander will persist for 2–5 years or more if managed correctly.
Commander should be sown at 5–6 kg/ha with legumes as a specialist pasture or 1–2 kg/ha as part of a mixed pasture.
Chicory has excellent feed quality and is highly palatable to stock giving excellent stock performance. Commander also has an erect growth habit giving easier grazing and improved utilization.